Sometimes you may find or hear of a mysterious place where objects can apparently roll uphill. This is a remarkably common illusion that is found in numerous locations all over. It can be a stretch of road in a hilly area where the true horizon is obscured. Objects such as trees and walls that normally provide visual clues to the true vertical, may be leaning to create the magic. Objects or even rivers may appear to roll or flow uphill But this is all an optical illusion making a slight downhill look like an uphill slope or rivers flow against gravity.
Ever heard of any of these?
- Branciforte Dr. Santa Cruz, CA – Mystery Spot Road – A spot 50m in diameter in the redwoods of the Santa Cruz Mountains
- Putney Road, Benzie County, Michigan – Mystery Spot
- Northwest Baltimore County – Gravity Hill – along a public road that ran through the Soldier’s Delight environmental area
- Mooresville, Southwest Indianapolis – Gravity Hill – Located off SR 42 on the South side of Mooresville
- Ewing Road, Route 208, Franklin Lakes – Gravity Road
- Blowing Rock, hwy 321, Carolina – Mystery Hill
- Idelwild Park, Ligonier, Pennsylvania – Confusion Hill
- State Route 96 New Paris, Bedford County, Pennsylvania – Gravity Hill
- Rennick Road, on County Truck U, South of Shullsburg, in LaFayette County, Wisconsin – Gravity Hill – (near White’s Hill)
- Gold-Hill, Grants Pass, Oregon – Oregon Vortex
- North Wales Drive, North Avenue, Lake Wales, Florida – Spook Hill
- Gapland Road just outside Burkittsville, Gapland (Frederick County), Maryland – Spook Hill
This strange places and occurrences are often referred to as Gravity Hill, Magnetic Hill, Mystery Hill, Mystery Spot or Gravity Road. So is it something supernatural or is there a reason behind this phenomenon? The only magic at work is the magic of illusion, an optical illusion to be exact. The main factor contributing to the illusion is a completely or mostly obstructed horizon; without a horizon, judging the slope of a surface is difficult as a reliable reference is missing. Objects would normally assume to be more or less perpendicular to the ground such as trees, may actually be leaning and offsetting the visual reference. So the layout of the surrounding land produces an optical illusion, making a slight downhill slope appear to be an uphill slope. Thus, a car left out of gear would appear to roll uphill against gravity. There are hundreds of recognized gravity hills around the world, check out the LIST…
Could It Be A Haunted Road?
The Road Where Cars Roll Uphill
There is a road in Scotland where bicyclists have to pedal hard to ride downhill... but then coast uphill.